Tuesday, July 19, 2016

A Family Affair



 As a small business owner, my day to day working of my business looks a whole lot different than most businesses do. One of the advantages of being in business for yourself is that you set your own hours and pace.  For me and my business, being able to work Soap Doctor Soaps around my family’s choice in lifestyle and routine is a huge plus. I am not against rearranging my schedule for a great business opportunity when needed, but my favorite part, is being able to incorporate my family into my business. Here are a few ways that I get them involved:


1) Product Packaging: Free labor! Woo hoo! Before a big craft show or event, my family comes together to help with packaging. From putting soaps and bath bombs in shrink wrap bags to heat sealing and loading up supplies, my family is involved. I usually put the labels on myself, as these need to at least be somewhat straight for me to be happy. Gathering around the kitchen table with a couple hundred bath bombs or soaps has been a highlight of prepping for craft show.



Soap anyone?
2) Sales Force: In most cases, I have 1-2 of my kids with me at all times. And craft shows are no exception. From the baby strapped in an Ergo on my chest, to the older kids talking to and enticing customers, it is truly a family affair. Having a cute baby for people to stop and ogle is never a bad sales technique, either. And as for my older kids, the fact that they can tell you what a soap saver is, how to use a bath bomb and the benefits of a particular soap, is always a huge draw. Countless times I've had people comment about how they just had to buy that soap because my daughter or son sold them on it. And in return, my children are learning about communication, interacting with people of all ages and personality types, and learning the importance of knowing your trade.



3) Naming Products: I have a process I often follow in naming my products. But every once in a while, I am just truly stuck. In those cases, I enjoy turning to my children to help me brainstorm names. It is so rewarding to see their creative juices flowing as they formulate names or even packaging ideas! What a great opportunity for them to employ marketing techniques without even knowing it. One such product was a soap made with a very popular fragrance oil called Monkey Farts. I really had no desire whatsoever to have a soap with the word fart in the title, so I went to my kids with the conundrum. My oldest son won the naming game with Monkey Fruit Toots. It has been a very popular soap, not only for the great fruity smell, but people love the name.



4) Market Research: I need look no further than my growing brood for ideas of products for kids. They have inspired many products. Some have come from my observation of their choice in toys and others from direct requests. One inspired by observation was the Mystery Bath Bomb. This one came from watching their complete and utter fascination with Super Mario Bros. I must confess that in my childhood, I myself was a fan and pretty good at it to boot. So, a bath bomb with a surprise toy inside, painted in question marks to simulate a mystery box, was not a far stretch. Lego men in bath bombs? No problem.  Requests have ranged from a particular fragrance to soaps shaped like cars or hearts. They are a wealth of ideas.
Vroom Vroom Soap: my sons requested item.





5) Motivation: My family are my reason for being in business. Not only do I wish to provide them with a financial benefit, but also with the opportunity to see that if you have a dream and you put in the hours, success is achievable. There is not just one way to do things, but you are free to think outside the box, as long as you do so in a responsible way. Maybe my kids will grow up to be entrepreneurs or have a business degree. Maybe not. But more importantly then what title they may hold, for me, is to instill in them a good work ethic. Whatever they may put their hand to, if they will work with diligence, honor and a good attitude, they will go far. That is one thing that I try to model for them in business. The dollar amount is not as important as being honest and straightforward. Hard work is more beneficial than a quick buck.





Our little family has enjoyed the many benefits of being in business. This is something that we have to work at to keep what is important to us at the forefront. But it has most certainly been a very rewarding experience. I am so very grateful to live in a land of opportunity. I am truly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment