Tuesday, July 12, 2016

How My Soaping Addiction Started


I started my encounter with soap about 2 years ago when I came across Melt & Pour at Hobby Lobby. I have always been an avid DIYer and being able to make custom soaps for Christmas gifts was right up my alley. I had a few animal molds and made soap on a yarn string for all my nephew. And, my kids got to help! Fast forward to 2015 and I was researching laundry soap. Keep in mind that I had already been making my own laundry soap out of grated dove bars, borax and washing soda, but wasn’t happy with how it was cleaning. Then I found Fels Naphtha and a recipe for using that to make a 5 lb. bucket worth of laundry soap. I really liked that so much better, but I was positive I could make my own version of bar soap so much cheaper, if I only did a little research. Also the thought have having complete control over what went into the products I used on my kids was a huge draw.

I love YouTube. Being a visual learner, YouTube is right up my alley. And it didn’t take long for me to find the amazing, beautiful world of soap making out there. I quickly went from watching laundry soap DIYs to handcrafters swirling, coloring and doing all sorts of magic with soap. I watched every episode of Soaping 101, drooled at Sarah Milroy from Spicy Pinecone, and couldn’t look away as Katy White from Royalty Soaps made her creations. I think I watched 3-4 hours of YouTube videos a day, for about 6 months, all while doing research online as well. Having once been a couponer, I had a stash of bath, body and household cleaners that I quickly posted on Facebook to sell so that I could buy supplies to make my own soap. $40 richer, I set out to order supplies.  

First thing I made was laundry bars. As soon as I unmolded them, I knew I was hooked. I commissioned my husband to make me a tall and skinny mold out of scrap wood because I was going to try some color and design. Half a thumb (hubby nearly took of the whole top of his thumb in a freak accident cutting the wood for my mold), several redesigns and a roll of freezer paper later, I was ready. What was meant to be a delicate feather swirl turned in to a plop and drop and a half full mold. I didn’t calculate my mold size correctly and ended up with these tiny little bars of soaps scented in White Tea and Ginger, from Bramble Berry. I quickly whipped out a couple more batches and had friends and family using them in no time.

One day as I looked at the amount of soap I had just made, I realized that I had made enough to support my family’s cleanliness need for about the next 6 years. And I wanted to make more soap!!!


So, my husband said to me: “Honey, this stuff is awesome! Why don’t you sell it?” (Can y’all see why I love this man??!!)

Colored Ginger: my first soap using micas to color it.
It was supposed to be tall and skinny, but is short and sweet.

After pondering that this would mean I would then get to make MORE soap, I agreed. And so, the adventure of being a small business owner began.

6 comments:

  1. You were a soap addict with that first bar! Fun journey, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure was! It has been a fun journey, for sure.

      Delete
  2. It's difficult to stop, isn't it? I too started with melt and pour I found in a craft store, then realized there was a much larger soaping world out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was mind blowing to find out the possibilities!

      Delete
  3. It's amazing how soapmaking crosses out path and then we are hooked forever! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to come into different peoples lives at different times. Glad you enjoyed. 😃

      Delete