Tuesday, July 26, 2016

When It's About More Then Just Soap


One of the largest orders I ever had was for 30 bars of soap. One order. That was huge! But even better was who the order was for. I was contacted by someone in Idaho wanting to send soap to the Children's home in Costa Rica called Hogar De Vida (Home of Life). Now, this place is near and dear to my heart, as it is in my home town of Atenas, Costa Rica, and I actually worked there when I was in high school. I would work the evening/night shift three days a week. Among my duties were bathing kids and getting them ready for bed, cleaning up dinner, being on call if needed during the night, making breakfast, getting kids dressed and backpacks ready for school in the morning. Not all this at one time, but we would rotate between tasks. I would then ride the bus the next morning with all the kids to my high school for my classes.



Even better, is the fact that this in now where my mother works full time as the COO. So, when I say this place is near and dear to my heart, I really mean, it's been a part of my family. Working with the party that wished to donate, we came up with a plan to send the 30 bars of soap to the ladies and men that work at the children's home. What fun to run to the Dollar Store looking for packaging ideas just to find the perfect sized gift bags and of course, the perfect tissue paper to complete these gifts. My mother came up for a visit and was able to take all this back to Costa Rica for us.


Gift Bags ready for the Valentine's Day party.



The soaps were given out to everyone that contributes to making Hogar de Vida run as smoothly as possible. It was a Valentine's Day event and the party was a great way to celebrate all those that work hard to make a difference there. From the Tias (ladies that work in the homes with the kids) to the Psychologist and secretaries that work each in their own field. So, although it was my largest one-time order, it stand out for so many more reasons than just a number on a spreadsheet. I was blown away to hear how much they loved their presents. How special it made them feel and how they loved this soap or that. I am so very grateful for the patron that chose my little shop to use to bless this organization. What a blessing to be giving back to a place that has such special memories for me.
The ladies showing off their gifts.



If you would like to know more about Hogar de Vida and the work that is done there, here is a link to their website:
http://www.homesoflife.org/




Samara was one of the favorites.















There are many opportunities to serve the men and women working long and hard to change lives. From sponsoring a child, donating money or time, to purchasing their merchandise, there are many ways to lend a hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment