Monday, July 18, 2016

Soaping with 4 kids: how do you do it?

As you can probably imagine, life with kids is fun, fast paced, complicated, adventurous, chaotic and never, ever predictable. When I first started soaping, I was only doing a few batches every once in a while, and I would make sure all the kids were safely upstairs with their Daddy before I started. Then I would get all things done, cleaned up and put away before they were allowed to come down. But as things progressed into business, I now needed to be able to produce in larger quantities and volume. So, waiting until after they were in bed, or Dad was home, was not always an option. Plus, bringing in and putting away all the supplies from the garage was a real workout! Not no mention time consuming, and time was my most precious commodity. Even more important to me, was making sure that my kids were safe. Lye is a chemical and it is to be respected. I wanted to make sure I was being wise when it came to my kids.


As it turns out, we don't have any furniture in our dinning room. We do have a cabinet that is used to store school curriculum, but for the most part, we use the dinning room as a play room. So my husband built a removable wall across the largest entrance to the dinning room, and we installed a baby gate in the doorway leading to the kitchen. I now have my studio where I can make my soaps and other products where the kids aren't in danger and my products aren't in danger. There have been times where I am half way through making something and need to stop to take care of a booboo or intervene in a sibling rivalry. I can safely leave my products behind locked gate and not fret that the kids can get into it. If you follow me on YouTube, you sometimes hear my kids in the background. But rest assured, they are no where near any products with could be harmful. Also, having the space available to me allows for me to prep ahead of time my oils, lye water, etc and then when the kids go to bed or down for a nap, or I get some time, I'm good to go.

I promise that in the very near future I will give you all a tour of my soaping room or soaping studio as I like to call it. Hope you all have a safe, productive day!

Here is one of the videos in which you can hear my kids living life. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment