Thursday, July 14, 2016

The Story of Sipiri


Yesterday I shared with you all a bit about the process I use to name Soap Doctor Soaps line of products. Today, I'd like to tell you the story behind one product in particular: Sipiri.

Scented in Lemongrass Essential Oil
and made using The Clyde Slide.


This soap is scented in Lemongrass Essential Oil and was made for a soaping challenge using The Clyde Slide. Here is how the name came about:





To those of you that are not a part of the soaping community, you may be surprised to hear that it is a very welcoming, helpful, kind place. Even though everyone is, for the most part, in business for themselves, you will find that people are very happy to help with recipe input, labeling ideas, marketing strategies, etc. This amazing aspect of the community was made real to me when I first interacted with Kathy White. Now, Kathy and I had never met, but through a post on the Lone Star Soaps and Toiletries Facebook page, we connected over the use of essential oils in soap. I forget all the details, but I do know that I had expressed a desire to use essential oils, but the price was keeping me from doing so. To get a good price per ounce, I had to buy in large quantities, and that wasn’t something my pocket book could afford at the time. Kathy messaged me and offered, not only, to split an order of essential oils, but also gave me a ton of insight into what oils she would recommend, etc. I was blown away by her willingness to go out of her way to help someone that she didn't know at all. Not long after, I had said essential oils in hand, and was ready to play.

Tsipiri circa 1987. From the hilltop I often played on.
Photo Credit: Helen Smith.
As I opened each bottle and took my first whiff of each one, I was a kid on Christmas Day. Each was better than the next! But none conjured up memories more than the Lemongrass essential oil. Most of you may not know this, but I actually grew up in Costa Rica. I lived there for the better part of my life, even completing my medical degree there. Not only did I get to live in an amazing place, but I was surrounded by amazing people. Not the least of these were Aziel and Marian Jones. The Jones had come to Costa Rica, found the Cabeccar Indians, learned their language, created and alphabet for them, and were translating the Bible into their native tongue. Their story is amazing and they have written a book all about it, which I will link below. They lived and worked in an area nestled in the deep jungle mountains of Costa Rica, called Tsipiri. My family had several opportunities to go visit them, and it was always the kind of adventure you can only dream about. Long car rides through dusty or muddy roads (depending on if it was wet or dry season), getting stuck and using a winch, slipping and sliding within an inch of the shear drop off edge of the mounting. Well, I'd need a whole post just to describe the ride to get to the house. We would then spend a week splashing in the river, traipsing around the hidden trails in gumboots, climbing the hills and playing house in the playhouse that was the kind every girl dreams of. In front of the play house were two very large lemongrass plants with which we made every imaginable delicacy from mud pies to tea. No, none of our creations were edible, but that is of very little consequence to children with imagination. So, you see, one whiff of lemongrass and I was instantly transported back to that lush, green hillside, playing with my sister and friends. Years melted away and as a smile creased my lips and tears stung the back of my eyes, I remembered. Remembered the beauty of simplicity. The treasures of childhood. The power of smell.
Tsipiri 2016. If you look very, very closely, you can see
the playhouse still standing next to the now blue
house on the hill.
Photo credit: Helen Smith


Lemongrass may not by your cup of tea, and that's ok. It isn't my favorite either. But, it does hold a powerful memory association, that I treasure.

6 comments:

  1. WOW! Talk about dedication - to travel to Costa Rico and learn a language. Geesh, some days I think I am "too busy" to return an email. I am humbled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great adventure. Scent can conjure up so many memories, it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My nephew and his wife were Baptist missionaries in Costa Rica for over 10 years. They loved the people and the country. I wanted to visit, but just never made it. It's such a beautiful country.

    Enjoyed your blog post!


    ReplyDelete
  4. Your eyes full of years. Mine full of bucket-loads. Great story Mrs. Soap Doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully written ! What treasured times . You transported us there with your words. Well done!

    ReplyDelete